This post is a long time coming, but when I was home from school over Spring Break I was able to work on the house some more. I focused mainly on the loft because once that is completed, I will be able to move things from the first floor up for storage and have the majority of the first floor available to work on.
The biggest issue with the loft was the fact that the boards were not even from board to board. This was because I got the hardwood flooring from different rooms of a demolition sale and they must have been refinished differently, making each board a different thickness. I had to sand the floor 5 different times before it was ready to be a floor again.
The first sanding I went across the grain with 32-grit sandpaper. The old adage is to always sand with the grain, but the intent was to make each piece level to the one next to it. In order to do this I had to sand across the grain to try and make it pass cleanly without catching any edges. Once that was completed, I sanded with 55-grit sandpaper with the grain. I did another sanding with 80-grit, 120-grit, and then did a finish sand with 200-grit sandpaper.
Overall the pieces are level to those next to them, and the old finish is completely removed. Now I need to stain it and put a coat of polyurethane on it, sand it again with a really fine grit, then maybe another coat of the polyurethane and another sanding.
Unfortunately the loft took the majority of the week to work on because of the amount of sanding that needed to be done. We did start on another project though, which is a drawer system.
The kitchen unit will sit on top of the drawers to give me additional storage space. You cannot see it in the picture, but the drawers will not be as deep in the middle because the fender intrudes 6″ into the living space. The drawer system saves the kitchen from being moved in 6″ and gives me storage I otherwise would not have. Six inches may not seem like a lot, but it would be about 1/4 the width of my hallway. The drawer system is saving a lot of space and making the house much more livable.
That is all the work from Spring Break. It may not seem like a lot, but I will be able to refinish the loft now. Once that is done I will be able to move a lot of the materials stored on the first floor up there so that the first floor is more open to work on.